Finding multilevel model level three residuals

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
tetroupploy

Finding multilevel model level three residuals

Post by tetroupploy »

Dear all,

Thank you for reading my conundrum. For my PhD research, I am computing variables using the ecometric technique (Raudenbusch & Sampson, 1999). This requires fitting a three-level multilevel item response model (items nested in subjects nested in neighborhoods) and extracting the level 3 residuals for use in further studies.

I discovered how to calculate level-2 residuals on the Bristol Centre for Multilevel Modelling's website. That is, multiplying the average 'raw' level-1 residuals by a shrinkage factor (see reference above for a detailed explanation), which takes into account the level-2 and level-1 variance, as well as the number of observations in each group. However, I am not sure how this approach applies to the extraction of level-3 residuals. My naive impulse would be to replace everything in the equations with the corresponding values from the upper level. To compute the shrinkage factor, take the average of the (adjusted, I assume?) level-2 residuals, the level-3 variance, and the number of level-2 observations. However, I suppose the solution is more sophisticated. Could one of you connect me to a resource that contains the answer to this question, or could you explain your thoughts on this calculation?

TL;DR: I'd like to calculate level-3 residuals from my multilevel model. I want to know how to calculate the shrinkage factor to alter the 'raw' average residuals at the third level.

I hope anyone can take the time to assist me; thank you in advance! I am happy to share more details upon request.

Best,

Kevin Wittenberg attends Utrecht University.
ChrisCharlton

Re: Finding multilevel model level three residuals

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you're using MLwiN then you can request residuals at any level using the "Residuals" window (see chapter 3 of the MLwiN user guide: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/media/sof ... al-web.pdf), or by using RLEV command in combination with the RESI command.
tetroupploy

Re: Finding multilevel model level three residuals

Post by tetroupploy »

Thank you so much :) geometry dash breeze :)